Thursday, June 23, 2011

ZipTrek!

I have been making the five hour drive up to Whistler from Olympia for the last eight years and I have only done a hand full of things, mainly mountain biking. Every year I come up here and say the same thing, “we should really try out some of the other things there are to do around here.” But, alas, we arrive at one of the greatest mountain biking Mecca’s known to man and the focus narrows down to three things, mountain biking, eating, and sleep. And if we could figure out how to eat and sleep at the same time in order to mountain bike more, we would.
 Trey and I are here earlier in the season than typical which is cool because we have been able to see the construction of the “Bone Yard,” under the lifts. However, being in the Pacific Northwet there is still a considerable amount of rainy days. One might think that Trey and I would venture out and do some of the other things that there are to do here in Whistler but instead we choose to pout and complain, that is until last weekend when my friend Michelle came for a visit. Michelle came up for a short trip, up on Friday back down on Sunday, leaving Saturday to play all day. Saturday morning we woke to the sounds of rain hammering the camper and all thoughts of mountain biking were off and Michelle and I made plans to do something out side of my box, which by the way is shaped more like a crank set. We went for a little zipline adventure through the mountains here in Whistler. For those of you unfamiliar with ziplining, it involves wearing a harness and being attached to a cable and flinging through the air at high speeds. Now, I have seen these ziplining folks while on my mountain bike and have said in the past, “I should really try that here sometime.” I have zipline once before while on a family vacation with Trey in Costa Rica. It was a blast shooting through the canopy and seeing exotic birds as we all stood waiting our turn to zip.
By the time Michelle and I had signed up for the zip the rain had eased up and all that was left was a slight chill. We took a ten minute van ride up the Blackcomb mountain and hiked a short distance to our first zip. There were five zips total. The fourth zip was the length of two Eiffel Towers. All the zips were long and very high in the air going over a raging river. Michelle and I took photos and video of this fine day. The last clip I managed to video and flip upside down. I even included a little dance to keep interest high. Hope you all enjoy the video and I would say “as much as we enjoyed the zip” but that is not possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment